PE & School Sports
We aim to create a happy, stimulating environment where all children are provided with opportunities, to plan, participate in and evaluate their physical education.
This will enable Silloth Primary School to promote a lifelong love of sport and physical activity.
We believe that PE in a safe and supportive environment, is vital to a child’s physical and emotional well-being and development. A high quality, PE programme ensures that children’s needs are at the forefront whilst encouraging them to realise the importance of an active and healthy lifestyle.
We aim to do this by promoting a life-long love of sport and physical activity through the following objectives:
- Thorough application of PE Programme of Study, utilising expert coaching wherever possible
- On-going high quality CPD for all staff
- A range of physical activities during playtimes, such as introducing Huff & Puff resources to Key Stage 1 as well as upgrading the playground and introducing Game Makers at KS2
- A variety of after school clubs to targets all interests and abilities, including Change4Life
- Providing links to community sports clubs
- A commitment to working towards the Sainsbury’s School Games Gold Kitemark in 2015
As children move through primary school, they must develop their physical and cognitive skills in order to lead and develop sport later on in life. This can be aided by providing numerous sporting events to not only ignite interest but keep that interest alive.
In order to do this we have committed our 2016-2017 Sports Funding of £8500 to the following:
- Providing additional swimming lessons for Year 5 & Year 6 pupils - £1,000
- Providing expert sports coaching & on-going CPD for the year across KS1 & KS2 - £3,500
- Providing curriculum time coaching for Y1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 - £550
- Purchasing the use of Solway Community Sports Hall & specialist coaches for Y5 & Y6 to introduce trampolining (Spring term 2017) - £450
- Buying into a local competition calendar - £500
- Updating PE/games equipment - £1000 (Summer 2017)
- Updating playtime equipment - £1000 (Autumn 2016)
- Ongoing specialist staff training on external courses - £500
We have also established the following to raise the profile of sport across the school:
- Developed an Intra-school competition calendar
- Developed an Intra-school team point system to feed into our School Sports Day
- Developed after school provision in football, cross-county, netball, dance, hockey, multi-skills & Change4Life.
- Developed a dedicated School Sports display board to promote school PE & Sports and celebrate our achievements.
- Made strong club links in golf, rugby & football